Dear Parents & Guardians,
The number of incidents regarding inappropriate use of cell phones and other technology is becoming a major distraction to the education process at IS 381. Please review Chancellor's Regulation A-413 below:
While cell phones, laptops, tablets, iPads and other computing devices, and portable music/entertainment systems ARE allowed to be brought into schools, they are subject to the restrictions below:
- Cell phones must be TURNED OFF (powered down, not on "silent mode") when students enter the building and placed in their backpack.
- Students are NOT PERMITTED to use cell phones in the auditorium, cafeteria, or during recess.
- Cell phones may NOT be used in locker rooms or bathrooms.
- Cell phones may NOT be turned on during evacuation/fire drills or other emergency preparedness exercises (including "Lockdown" drills).
- Cell phones may NOT be turned on or used during the administration of any school quiz, test, or examination.
If a student uses a cell phone or other computing device while on school property, unless permission is specifically granted by the student's teacher, the following procedures will take place:
- The cell phone or device will be confiscated by school administration.
- It is the student's responsibility to contact the parent/guardian and inform them of the confiscation.
- The device will be placed in a secure location until a parent/guardian can retrieve the device.
- IS 381 and the DOE are NOT RESPONSIBLE for lost, stolen, or broken devices.
Please have a conversation with your child about the proper time and place to use cell phones and other portable electronic devices.