Cell Phone Policy
IS 381 School Cell Phone/Electronic Device Policy
According to Chancellor's Regulation A-413, students are permitted to bring the following electronic items to school: cell phones, laptops, tablets, iPads, and other similar computing devices, and portable music and entertainment systems. With the exception of cell phones, all other electronic devices are NOT permitted on school property. School administration has the duty to put a system in place to manage the proper use of cell phones. We would like to share our school based cell phone policy for the 2021-2022 School Year.
The use of cell phones at school is subject to the restrictions below:
- Cell phones must be TURNED OFF when students enter the school building and placed in their backpack. A cell phone on "silent mode" is NOT acceptable.
- Students are NOT permitted to use cell phones in the auditorium, cafeteria, during recess, during classroom instruction, in the hallways, or in the bathroom.
- Cell phones may NOT be turned on during fire/evacuation drills or other emergency preparedness exercises.
- Cell phones may NOT be turned on or used during the administration of any school quiz, test, or examination, except as authorized by the school, or pursuant to an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or a Section 504 accommodation plan. The use of cell phones and computing devices during the administration of state standardized examinations (including the ELA State Test, Math State Test, Living Environment Regents Exam, Algebra Regents Exam, and Specialized High School Admissions Test) is governed by New York State Department of Education Rules.
In the event that a student's cell phone and/or electronic device is being used while on school property, unless permission has been granted by the student's teacher or as defined above, the following procedures will take place:
- The cell phone or electronic device will be confiscated by school administration.
- It is the STUDENT'S RESPONSIBILITY to contact the parent or guardian and inform them of the confiscation.
- The cell phone/device will be placed in a secure location until the parent/guardian can come to the school building to retrieve the item.
- IS 381 and the DOE is NOT RESPONSIBLE for lost, stolen, or broken cell phones/devices.
Students who use cell phones and/or other electronic devices are in violation of the DOE's Discipline Code, the school's policy, Chancellor's Regulation A-413, and/or the DOE's Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Policy and will be subject to discipline in accordance with the guidance interventions and disciplinary responses set forth in the Discipline Code.
In the event that a student needs to contact their parent or guardian during the school day, the student is permitted to visit either the Main Office, Principal's Office, or Assistant Principal's office where they will be allowed to make said phone call.